Thursday, October 20, 2016

Child Enterpreneurs

The word 'Entrepreneur' has always intrigued, fascinated and perplexed me.

1. Intrigue - it comes due to the curiosity for the word 'entrepreneur', which is used with the term 'child'.  

2. Fascination - it comes because of interest in a foreign word that has become so popular. [Entrepreneur is a French word coined by the economist Jean-Baptiste Say, and usually is translated as, "adventurer"]

3. Perplexity - this is due to the fact that a child, considered to be growing and developing is now getting identified with being an entrepreneur.

It is not everyday that we get to meet real and happy entrepreneurs. I personally do not consider the word 'successful' very important in this description as its a relative term and very contextual. I have had the good luck of meeting a few entrepreneurs in various fields with different skills who had indeed made a positive impression with their break through approach; be it in selling groceries, providing household services or professional assistance. What really caught my eye was a very young gusty mechanic boy working at a workshop near my home. He was not old enough to start working nor did he meet the minimum age criteria. 

The happy boy had a liking for vehicles and would surprise everyone with his strength and knowledge to do the heavy work. Though he was short in height, he would move the two wheelers with ease. He probably attended school too and helped his father in the afternoons. His exceptional knowledge at a young age impressed one and all. 

Being curious, I asked him one day, "How do you manage to do such heavy work ?" To this he very simply replied, "Aunty, I love to look after vehicles and I don't feel this is work". The young boy's prompt and true reply stunned me. I met an entrepreneur who worked because of his interest and love for something and not for the need. This child entrepreneur coined a new meaning to the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Valuable Comment for the writer .....