Thursday, January 31, 2019

Old Vendor

Image result for raw dates
Gunabai, a roadside old vendor was the perfect embodiment of age, happiness and contentment. She would sell vegetables and fruits such as berries, guavas, sweet corn, ginger, etc; sitting on a plastic stool and a wicker basket that would not have held more than four kgs of her ware. Her simple Maharashtrian sari with the pallu over her head would reveal her tanned and cracked skin that literally glowed with happiness on seeing known customers. I always made it a point some thing, just so that she could earn her living. 

One day, I saw big red raw dates in her basket. They were very tempting and I immediately enquired about their cost. "Very nice dates, dear; they are for Rs 40 for half a kilo", she said. 

I was surprised to know the cost of dates for the usual cost was around Rs 50 for the same quantity. I knew Gunabai and did not want her to be in any loss. I immediately told her, "why you are taking less amount ? Your fruit is much better than other vendors and still you are selling it cheap !"

"Oh ! what will I do by taking a higher cost ? I am happy that you like my dates."

Her response surprised me, knowing fully well that people fight tooth and nail to earn the extra buck. I gave her warm smile and purchased one kg of the fruit. Till this day, I am amazed by Gunabai's richness.

1 comment:

My Valuable Comment for the writer .....